Return to [ 29 | December | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:24:19 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Mozilla 1.6b

In <1072707103-0-i-lists@synass.net>, on 12/29/03
at 12:11 AM, "i-lists" said:

>Changing from a VACC to a GCC needs the delete of the previous VACC
>Mozilla installation !?

Not entirely true. The point of the article at:

<http://www.scoug.com/os24u/2003/scoug312.mrkia.html>

is to explain how to do the switch without losing your personal data,
regardless of where you have it stored.

>It is NO problem to delete this VACC installation ...
>... EXCEPT one has all its data also within the Mozilla folder structure

This is why the article uses a different procedure to delete the VAC
specific parts of the installation.

>E:\OS2\WB\Moz contains the EXECs and
>D:\OS2\WB\Moz\Users\MyDomain\MyName\1abc2xyz contains the DATA !!!

It has been possible to put the user data elsewhere for a long time using
MOZ_PROFILES. It definitely makes installing new versions easier if you
have been using this, but it is not a requirement.

>Myself I had stopped experimenting with the almost newest Mozilla
>(Nightly)
>Builds since they have given me TOO much troubles installing them WITH
>keeping the existing DATA ...
>... more than once I got into troubles and only an extra BACKUP has saved

This has never been a problem using the Mr. KIA procedure. I too have not
been keeping up with the daily builds lately because I've been focusing on
other projects not because the upgrades cause data problems.

Regards,

Steven

Return to [ 29 | December | 2003 ]