Return to [ 09 | January | 2006 ]

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:21:26 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: ThinkPad Z60t progress continues

In <200601090015671.SM02148@MAIN>, on 01/09/06
at 12:16 AM, "Mark Abramowitz" said:

>>Tomorrow at the help desk, I hope to shrink that partition

>Steven had to do it using a brute force method,

Humm, and here I thought I simply used the elegant methods available from
the dfsee menus to work around an operator malfunction.

FWIW, there were some vocal claims that dfsee can not resize fat32. I
recommend that the vocal claimants read the RESIZE command documentation
in dfscmds.txt.

>eCS was blocking it, so we made the hidden backup partition
>bootable with dfsee.

Well, this is not really what happened. For others that might need to do
something similar, Mark replaced the virgin MBR with something else. This
something else did not know that the Thinkpad key even existed. There are
several workarounds for this. As Mark mentioned, we used dfsee to make
the recovery partition startable, thus turning off BootManager. In a
production system, one would just add the hidden partition to the
BootManager menu.

>The original card had an embedded OHCI USB controller, but the Z60t does
>not.

The modem is still connected to a USB port, is it not? The type of USB
host controller does not matter.

>Just for laughs, I moved the pc5220.sys driver over to the Z60t, added a
>reference to it in config.sys, and boot. The driver was recognized, and
>the card was assigned COM5! I checked the hardware manager, and the
>driver was listed.

Right, none of this requires the USB device to be present.

>strings that I had used before, and tried to dial. Unfortunately, I got
>a "port open" failure. Way too much excitement...

This may go away once we update the hardcoded USB device ids to match the
modem. This assume that the hardware architecture remains basically the
same.

Note that on the 770X, we needed to use cbenable and several other drivers
to create a data path to the OHCI controller. It appears that the z60t
needs none of this because the EDVO modem is connected to a locally
connected USB host controller.

Steven

Return to [ 09 | January | 2006 ]