Return to [ 19 | October | 2007 ]

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:36:14 -0700
From: "Harry Motin" <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Mix 'n Match ? (Don't Do It ??)

Content Type: text/plain

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:22:27 -0700, J R FOX wrote:

>A question for the list: Are any of you running (or
>have you previously run) some combination of PATA +
>SATA hard drives, or either type + SCSI ? Is / was it
>a major pain in the rear ? What are the potential
>gotchas or issues ?

Yes, at one time or another I've run the following:

1. Pure ATA (parallel) systems

2. Combination ATA and SCSI systems

3. Pure SCSI systems

4. Combination of SATA and SCSI systems

5. Pure SATA systems

For systems with ATA drives, the issues that I've had were configuring the motherboard
(MB) for the various drive configuration choices, such as logic block addressing (LBA).
Also, the selection of the correct data cable was always an issue. Should the cable
have 40 wires or 80? Is this a cable I can use and configure the jumper pins in the
"cable select" mode? Etc..

When I used SCSI and ATA together, I had one system where the MB would not auto
recognize the ATA drive unless I first disconnected the SCSI data cable.

For systems with SCSI drives, their performance was always better than the
performance of ATA drives. And that's why I eventually moved to all SCSI. However,
the biggest drawback of SCSI's is their expense (hard drive and SCSI controller card).
For SCSI's you also have to configure the drive with a jumper pin to make that device
#1, or #2, etc. The jumper pin configurations, however, are standard across all SCSI
drives, independent of manufacturer. You may also have configure the BIOS for the first
time on the SCSI controller card.

I used combination of SCSI and SATA for only a short time. I wanted to test out SATA
versus SCSI in terms of drive performance.

I now use pure SATA. The drives are just as fast as SCSI and, in some performance
categories, even faster. SATA drives are inexpensive. Their setup on the MB is simple
(connect a single data cable to the MB and the drive). Dani's drivers work wonders with
these drives.
HCM

Return to [ 19 | October | 2007 ]